The shoppertunites from Social Fabric are always fun! This week they challenged a few bloggers to go shopping at The Beer Store and prepare a fun Holiday Recipe!
1 pound hardwood chips
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 cup diced green bell pepper (I didn’t use this)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces (I used 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- Place wood chips in warm water, and soak for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan, blend the ketchup, brown sugar, beer, vinegar, and wine. Mix in the onion, bell pepper, and black pepper. Simmer until thickened, approximately 10 minutes.
- Spread wet wood chips evenly in the bottom of a broiler pan, adding enough water to ensure chips remain moist while cooking. Cover with broiler pan grate, and arrange chicken pieces on top. Coat chicken with the sauce, and cook approximately 1 hour, basting regularly.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer any remaining sauce to be used additionally for dipping when served.