Thank you so much for joining in the festivities! These next few weeks will be a lot of fun!
If this is your first visit to my site, please read this post to see what’s going on!!
Generously donated by
I have been using Soap Nuts for about a month now. They are amazing little things!
What Are Soap Nuts?
Soap nuts aren’t technically nuts. They’re fruit, taken from the soapberry tree (Sapindus mukorrosi). In appearance, they’re similar to the lychee nut, yet they’re not grown for consumption. Thanks to their high concentration of foaming “saponin,” soap nuts are used throughout the world as cleaning agents.
Soap Nuts as an Eco Friendly Laundry Detergent
You may be wondering “how” soap nuts are used to clean laundry. Are they processed into powder or liquid? Can they be used as is? Can they be used more than once? The answer to all of these questions is a resounding “Yes.”
As research on soap nuts continues, new ways of using the berry will surely surface. However, as of now, soap nuts are most often used in their dried-fruit form. The fruit is harvested, de-seeded, and then dried in the sun, leaving behind the hardened shells — which can be soaked, crushed, and recycled.
And that is what I like best….they are environmentally friendly and renewable!
There are so many benefits:
- reduction in water use
- reduction in chemicals that my kids are coming into contact with
- reduction in cost (so much cheaper than commercially-made detergents)
- lessened environmental impact
- and so many others
I love them so much, I’m sharing the with you!
*** Required Entry ***
Be sure to include your email address so we can contact you if you win.
Please add a separate comment for each bonus entry (and these only count if you did the required comment mentioned above):
- Follow with Google Friend Connect
- Subscribe via email or Reader
- Grab my Lucky 7s Celebration button and leave me the link
- “Like” funnythings are everywhere on Facebook (please leave your first name and last initial so I can find you as a fan)
- Follow @mapsgirl on Twitter
- Send out this tweet (once per day) and post the link:
Join us at @mapsgirl’s Lucky 7s Celebration! Lots of great #giveaways! http://www.mapsgirl.ca/2011/05/happy-7th-blogoversary-to-meand-little.html
Fine print: The contest will close Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at midnight (EST). Winners will be contacted by email.
Disclosure: I received soap nuts to try and to facilitate this post. But I really will continue to use them.