This summer the weather has been sunny and hot! A great time to head out and enjoy a picnic with your family. We have done a lot of camping this summer so easy meals that are fun to prepare are always on the menu.
There is a great Grilled Chicken Pita recipe on chicken.ca that is very yummy. I have slightly modified the prepartion directions to fit into our camping menu. This would also make this recipe very picnic-friendly! Instead of preparing the whole recipe from start to finish, part way through, I pack up all the ingredients into separate containers to be packed in the cooler. When we’re ready to eat it, everything is ready to go and all we need to do is assemble all the parts! Healthy, easy and very yummy!
Picnic-ready Grilled Chicken Pita
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tsp dill, fresh, chopped
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, large
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup English cucumber, chopped
4 pita bread
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 Tbsp dill, fresh, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon juice
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into ½ inch (1 cm) strips and place in a resealable plastic bag. Combine oregano, dill, lemon juice, water and vegetable oil and pour over chicken; close bag and turn it until all the strips are coated with the marinade. Let stand at room temperature for no longer than 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine sauce ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat barbecue on medium heat. Thread chicken strips onto eight metal skewers; discard marinade. Grill skewers, with the lid down, for 5 minutes per side.
- Cut onion into ½ inch (1 cm) slices and grill for a few minutes on each side. Remove from heat and cut slices into four.
- Pack the chicken skewers, sauce and vegetables in separate containers and put into a cooler.
- If you have a BBQ or fire, wrap pita breads in foil and warm over the heat.
- Spread yogurt sauce over pitas, top with tomatoes, cucumber, and grilled onions and two skewers of chicken. Fold the sides of the bread up, pull the skewers out of the chicken and eat the pita like a taco.
- Serve with a Greek salad.
Share your favourite thing about picnics or wonderful picnic memory to enter.
Be sure to click through and complete the Rafflecopter form.
Like CFC on Facebook
Follow @chickenfarmers on Twitter
Read the great info on their website — http://www.chicken.ca