Many times on the news you’ll hear that you should get your car seat checked.
Get your seat checked?? What exactly does that mean?
Certified Car Seat Technicians who are very familiar with the tricks to getting each seat installed properly can help parents understand their vehicle, their child car seat and how the two work best together.
Because there are so many different car manufacturers with different vehicles and many different car seat manufacturers with different car seats, it can be very difficult for parents to get each car seat installed properly in each vehicle.
Looking for a car seat clinic near you?
What happens at a car seat clinic?
There are 2 types of clinics: by appointment and drop in.
- By appointment has a schedule day and time for you to arrive; you are guaranteed to get your seat checked
- drop-in clinics are open for a period of time but are first come, first served. We always recommend that you come early and be prepared to wait. There is no guarantee you will get your seat checked if we run out of time to see all the people
Before you arrive:
You need to read the owner’s manual for your vehicle and for the car seat. These two documents together show you (a) how the car manufacturer allows the car seat to be used in the vehicle and (b) how the car seat manufacturer allows for the car seat to be installed.
When you arrived at the clinic
You’ll meet the technicians who will be helping you with your car seat(s).
You’ll need to fill out some paper work about your child and your vehicle.
While you’re doing the paperwork, the technicians will be doing a quick check of how the seat is currently installed. They will point out things that you have done well and things that will need to be fixed.
The technicians will then remove the car seat, check to see if it is expired and if it is suitable for the child who will be using it.
You will learn about the safety features of your car seat, proper use of the seat for your child (based on their height, weight and age) and how to install it in your vehicle.
Seeing the technicians from start to finish could take up to 30 minutes or more.
Common errors seen at the clinics?
- seat is too loose
- harness straps are too loose
- hanress straps are in the incorrect position
- harness straps are twisted
- tether strap not used
- tether strap not used properly and/or hooked in the wrong spot
- rear facing child seat touches the front passenger seat(s)
- incorrect seat for the size of the child
- child moved into a bigger car seat too soon
- child moved forward facing too soon
- UAS and seat belt used to install seat (only should use one)
- UAS is upside down
- third party add-on attached to car seat
- loose objects in the car