As the weather cools down in the fall, slow cookers come out off the shelf and soups and stews are an easy way to stretch your dollar and prepare a warm hearty meal for your family that will last well into the week.
Nothing says fall like “Stew” and “Apples”
And the Chicken Farmers of Canada has an amazing Autumn Chicken and Apple Stew recipe on their site.
1 whole chicken, cut in parts
1/4 cup (50 mL) apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg, ground
6 whole cloves
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
3 carrot(s), peeled and sliced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
6 apple(s), peeled and sliced
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
1 cup (250 mL) cabbage, shredded
1 3/4 cup (440 mL) low-sodium chicken broth, warm
1 cup (250 mL) applesauce
- Spray large casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium high temperature.
- Add chicken and cook, turning to brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Spread mustard over chicken pieces; add warm broth, vinegar, cloves and carrots; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes. Add apples and cook 5 minutes. Add cabbage, stirring into liquid.
- Cook, covered, about 10 minutes more or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- With slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to warm serving bowl and keep warm.
- Stir applesauce into liquid; boil on high temperature 5 minutes and pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Serve with brown rice, if desired.
Do you have a favourite chicken stew, soup or slow cooker recipe??
You can share your favourite soups during the Chicken Soup #ChickenChat!
Chicken Soup Bowl Giveaway!
Winners will be contacted by email! Your email must be included in the form.