Some of you may remember that I started documenting the issues with our basement:
Here’s a refresher in case you forgot, or are new and want to catch up:
- Discovering the leak: when it rains it pours
- Trying to keep the water outside: rain rain go away
- Fixing the crack: funny friday: there’s a hole!
That was back in March and April of last year.
I stopped talking about the basement. Once we started working on the inside, the issues started snowballing and I got completely overwhelmed. And a bit embarrassed. I didn’t want to come across as a bad homeowner or a bad parent.
What we learned over the past year is too important not to tell the world.
We know a Home Inspector, Certified Indoor Air Quality and Mold Inspector. He said that we needed to remove the drywall that had been wet because there was a risk of mold.
Just in case, he put up a protective wall of plastic so that dust and the potential mold spores wouldn’t go everywhere. He did an air test to see if there were any mold spores in the air and sent that off to the lab.
Gemil started to take down the drywall and then with each step, the evil became more and more apparent.
“The “box” was actually a large jar given to Pandora, which contained all the evils of the world.” ~ Wikipedia